Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My New King Charles Spaniel

So I have a wife and three young kids and like most families with kids, my wife and I started getting the "can we get a dog" question.  Now, having had a black lab myself for 14 years (until she passed 4 years ago) I wanted to jump at the chance when the question came up a year ago.   My wife...not so much.

What  made this more of a challenge was that my youngest son was/is terrified of dogs so the thought of bringing a dog into the house was out of the question.

On the weekends if we had nothing to do, my kids always got a kick going to visit the local pet store where we could take dogs out to play with.  Being the dog lover in the group, I thought this was great.  It was a way for us to take some dogs out of those tiny cages and get some play time.  Also, it was a way for me to get my youngest son more exposure to dogs and hopefully he would grow to love them like the rest of us did.

About a year passed and we got a little more serious about the thought of getting a dog.  Our one rule was that if we did, we would wait until the summer.  Simple rule right?

Not so much.  One Saturday we had some time to kill so we went to the local pet store and that's when love at first sight happened.  We saw the cutest little King Charles Spaniel that was afraid of it's own shadow.  I asked my little son which one he wanted to play with and he picked her (at this point I knew it was fate)

He immediately fell in love with her and wasn't afraid (probably because she was more afraid of him).  I immediately picked up the phone and called my wife.  Did I forget to mention that it was in the dead of winter in New England....yes a clear violation of our one rule. 

After about an hour on the phone with my wife and an hour of my kids playing with the little puppy, we are now the proud owners of Sammie....our King Charles Spaniel.

 
Check back later to find out how my initial training went.  Let me just put it this way.  Within 10 days, she was house trained and had full run of the back yard without having a fence thanks to an invisible wireless fence.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
Want to watch a great video on King Charles Spaniels.  This is where we started to really learn about this dog breed and determined how great this breed really is.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment